EECP is a safe, non-invasive, well tolerated and effective for patients with ischemic heart disease, angina and heart failure.
1) EECP feels like a deep muscle massage for the legs. During treatment, you do not feel anything in the chest or heart. Just it feels cuffs tires that wrap around your legs squeezing in time for your own heartbeat. Most of our patients relax, listen to music or watch TV during their treatments. Some even sleep!
2) No side effects. However, some patients may experience muscle pain and fatigue in the first two weeks of treatment. This is similar to an exercise program. Special pants and fillers are used to minimize skin irritation by friction of the sleeve.
3) Most patients begin to feel better after 10 treatments.
4) EECP therapy increases the blood supply to the heart and all the organs, tissues and cells of the body.
5) EECP therapy reduces symptoms of chest discomfort and / or difficulty breathing; and the amount of drugs taken by the patient.
6) EECP therapy improves exercise capacity and quality of life.
7) The benefits of EECP therapy can last several years. Some patients require repeat therapy as recommended by the cardiologist.
Patient who will benefit from EECP:
Patients whom PTCA or CABG is not Contemplated.
- Target Lesion is Inaccessible.
- Patients have Co-morbid states like diabetes, nenal dysfunction and
- pulmonary disease which create high risk.
- Severe LV dysfunction – High risk CABG.
- Restenosis after PTCA.
- CABG graft occlusion.
What percent of heart blockage is dangerous?
Severe heart blockage is typically that in the greater than 70% range. This degree of narrowing is associated with significantly reduced blood flow to the heart muscle and can underlie symptoms such as chest pain and shortness of breath. In the diagram above, an 80% blockage can be seen at the beginning of the vessel.